Homemade Plant-Based Delicious & Easy Cream Cheese
Are you looking for a healthy alternative for traditional dairy-based cream cheese? Would you like to switch to plant-based, healthy cream cheese? And be able to control the ingredients of the cream cheese and spend less money on expensive vegan substitutes (which are also processed and contain stuff that you might want to avoid)?
Then I have just the right recipe for you. An absolutely wonderful, creamy plant-based version of cream cheese.
Only three ingredients are used to make this delicious spread:
1. Activated, raw cashews: I urge you to activate cashews prior to using them because only then will you be able to access most of the nutrients in the nuts and make them easier to digest (see my post on how to activate nuts and seeds http://plantbasedhappy.com/?p=6272)
2. Homemade plain soy yogurt: very easy to make, don’t let the word “homemade” scare you off (read my post on how to make soy yogurt http://plantbasedhappy.com/?p=6362)
3. Fine sea salt
All you need to do is blend the ingredients in a blender or food processor until creamy and let it rest for 24-48 hours. That’s really it!
- For savory varieties, mix the cream cheese with yellow and red bell pepper cubes, fresh herbs (basil, parsley, thyme comes to my mind right away), a few drops of lemon juice and some organic lemon zest.
- For a more smokey flavor add roasted garlic and chipotle peppers to the cream cheese.
- Add nutritional yeast to give it more of a cheesy flavor.
- Add roasted bell peppers, liquid smoke and ground crispy nori sheets.
- For a sweet variation mix the cream cheese with ground cinnamon, maple syrup, a pinch of salt and chopped activated pecans (read my post on how to activate nuts and seeds).
Click here to see the entire basic cream cheese recipe http://plantbasedhappy.com/?page_id=6452.
Let me know if you come up with different spins on the cream cheese. Enjoy!