The Most Beautiful Fresh Beans- Borlotti Beans
For those who haven’t tried Borlotti, they are nature’s most beautiful beans and have to be the ones that were used in Jack & the Beanstalk.
Borlotti beans are large plump beans that are pinkish-brown in colour with reddish-brown streaks. The beautiful shells of the Borlotti’s bright colored pods make a festive table accent. The shell is inedible, but the Borlotti beans inside are a culinary treat. Nutty in flavor with a creamy texture.
Borlotti beans are also known as cranberry beans. In some places you can find these fresh, still in their mottled magenta pods. if you can’t fresh ones, use dried Borlottis. Fresh beans cook much faster than dried, of course, which is another advantage.
This recipe is so simple that you might wonder whether it will really taste good. You only need a few ingredients: beans, sage, garlic, and tomatoes. But be assured, the flavor of the fresh sage and the garlic add an amazing Italian aroma to the beans. Add more water if you prefer more of a soup like consistency. Feel free to add chopped Tuscan kale to the soup at the end of the cooking time.
The dish tastes even better the next day when the beans had more time to soak up the flavors.
In case you can’t find fresh beans, use dried Borlotti beans and soak them overnight. The cooking time for dried beans is longer and will be around 1 1/2 hours.
Borlotti beans don’t just taste extremely good, they also rank among the most nutritious foods.here are some of their properties:
- They contain a lot of good plant protein
- They contain a huge amount of soluble fiber (lowers LDL cholesterol reducing the risk of heart disease, regulates blood sugar which may reduce the onset risk or symptoms of metabolic syndrome and diabetes, and may reduce the risk of colorectal cancer, and help manage diarrhea)
- They have a low glycemic index, which means that they are slowly absorbed into the bloodstream, which prevents sugar crashes, sugar cravings, and mood swings
- They contain tons of folate, which is not only incredibly important for pregnant women and babies but also for everyone’s nervous system
- They have a very high content of potassium and a low content of sodium (positive effect in lowering blood pressure. Also helps maintain fluid balance, promotes proper metabolism and muscle functions)
- They are filled with iron and copper (in fact, one cup of Borlotti beans contains 21 percent and 20 percent of the recommended value of iron and copper)
The only thing I’ll do differently next time when preparing the beans is to cook them in a deep pan instead of a pot to make it easier for the smaller members of our family to dip their bread into the yummy sauce :). SOOO delicious!
Click here to see the recipe for the Borlotti beans http://plantbasedhappy.com/?page_id=6469
Look out for my next post in which I will share something truly amazing!