Natural Remedies to Help You Fight Colds and Flu
I was working on a post on yet another delicious cake recipe that I had made last weekend, but all around us people are falling sick with the flue and are spreading their germs. Rhinoviruses (see image below) might look amazing under a microscope but are the main cause of the common cold.
Not surprisingly, our daughter has gotten the sniffles too. There was no need to worry though, because I knew how to give her immune system an extra boost.
So let me share some plant-based advise how to get well soon- or avoid contracting a cold in the first place:
- Gut health I: make sure you eat fermented foods (kombucha, fermented coleslaw, sauerkraut etc, living foods (plant-based yogurt, cream cheese with live cultures).
- Gut health II: Consume mostly activated ingredients (nuts&seeds, grains and legumes. see post on activation)
- Stay away from “acidic” foods (animal foods) and consume alkaline foods (all plant-based foods). Acidic foods enhance and lead to inflammation.
- Consume natural anti inflammatory foods/ spices like turmeric, cinnamon, rosemary, blueberries, dark leafy greens, garlic, green matcha tea etc.
- Consume foods that warm your body- think ginger tea or almond turmeric latte instead of organ juice.
- High vitamin c foods– highest amounts in camu camu powder, bell peppers, dark leafy greens, pomegranates, kiwifruit etc. Try to get your hands on liposomal vitamin c.
- Rest and sleep as much as you can.
This is more or less the protocol that I followed with Vivian- in the evening, before dinner, she got a dose of liposomal vit c, a pomegranate kombucha drink accompanying her dinner and a potent anti inflammatory turmeric milk after dinner. By the way, this milk tastes so delicious that I ended up making a cup for everyone.
Our immun system is usually in excellent condition because of the fermented and activated plant-based foods that we consume on a regular basis. And sure enough, the next morning, Vivian was already feeling much better. Yay!!
If you stick to the above described foods on a daily basis, your immun system will be so strong that you´ll very rarely fall sick at all. The human immun system is heavily based on gut health; the healthier we eat, the better our immun system. The Greek physician Hippocrates realized this important relationship as soon as 400 B.C: “Let the food be your medicine and your medicine be your food”. What an amazing insight he had! It feels sometimes as if we have been walking backwards instead of forwards and are just recovering the tight connection of food and health. Well, better late than never!
So try our delicious almond turmeric latte– I have even started swopping coffees for turmeric latte. Here’s the recipe: http://plantbasedhappy.com/?page_id=6500
Turmeric is arguably the most powerful herb on the planet at fighting and potentially reversing disease. It has so many healing properties that currently there have been over 6000 peer- reviewed articles published proving the benefits of turmeric and one of its renowned healing compounds curcumin. The most powerful aspect of curcumin is its ability to control inflammation.
The journal Oncogene published the results of a study that evaluated several anti-inflammatory compounds and found that aspirin and ibuprofen are least effective, while curcumin, is among the most effective anti-inflammatory compounds in the world.
Hope you´ll get better soon too! And if this post finds you well and happy, maintain your health! And I am talking gut health.