Baked Bloody Witches’ Fingers
See how my witches’ fingers look quite thick… make sure you shape very slender fingers out of the dough as they will spread in the oven.
Baked Bloody Witches' Fingers
Write a review
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup date paste
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp egg replacer (I use Ener-g)
- 1/2 c softened vegan margarine
- 1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 c blanched whole almonds
- 2 tbsp cherry jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 1 baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and egg replacer. Cut in the softened margarine, date paste and extracts. Mix until a dough-like consistency has formed ( I usually use my food processor).
- Take 2-3 teaspoons of dough into your hands and shape it into a slender finger. Note that the cookies will spread in the oven so it is important to shape your cookies to the thickness of a slim pinkie finger. Use a toothpick to carve knuckle creases and place an almond into the fingertip to act as the nail.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until cookies are very slightly browned on the edges.
- Remove the cookies from oven and let cool off completely. Remove the almond nail and paint the nail bed and cuticle with jam, then replace the almond.