Basic Fruit Cake Recipe
This recipe is amazing- it is a delicious low fat low sugar cake sweetened only with dates, apples and bananas. For this cake I added strawberries just because cherries or plums are not in season at the moment. It tastes very good but in combination with plums or cherries is is simply amazing!
Mix wet ingredients together.
2. Add dry ingredients and strawberries
3. Pour batter in pan.
- 3/4 cup date paste (dates soaked in hot water, then pureed in blender until smooth)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 1/4 cups wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, diced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9" square pan with baking paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the date paste, applesauce, vanilla, milk and bananas.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- Fold in strawberries.
- Pour batter into a square 10" pan and cook for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.