Buckwheat Cranberry Bars
These bars are super healthy and very easy to make. Buckwheat contains plenty of phytase (the enzye) and enough phytic acid can be removed by soaking the groats overnight in acidic water (filtered water with a bit of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar). Read more about activation on this post http://plantbasedhappy.com/?p=6272. Use whatever puffed grains you have on hand, add (activated) nut butter, (activated) seeds or nuts and dried fruits. Bake in the oven and voila, you have the most amazing homemade bars.
- 1/2 cup activated buckwheat groats
- 4 tbsp puffed amaranth
- 2 tbsp brown rice puffs
- 2 tbsp activated pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup activated almond butter
- 2 tbsp date paste (see recipe in recipe folder)
- 1/4 cup dried low sugar or no sugar cranberries, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350F (150C). In a small jar, gently warm the almond butter in the microwave and stir in the date paste.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl and stir in the almond butter date mixture. Mix well.
- Line a square baking pan and two round ramekins with parchment paper. Divide the mixture among the pans and press down on it using two spoons. The bars should be about 1/2" (1cm) thick.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. remove the pans from the oven and let them cool off.
- Cut the square into bar shapes and store in a closed container.