Candy Cane Sugar Cookies
These cookies will keep at least four days, in a lidded plastic container. As a general rule, you should store soft cookies in plastic containers and crispy cookies in glass ones.
These cookies look very cute and mouth watering and make a great gift.
Use a knife to carefully lift the court outs off the surface.
Crushing the candy canes and sprinkling them onto the cookies was definitely the best part for the kids!
- 3/4 cup whole meal spelt flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 4 small candy canes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place the candy canes in a ziplock bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix very well.
- In a separate bowl, melt the butter, then stir in vanilla and milk.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix again.
- Place the dough on a flat surface, lightly covered with flour. Place a piece of clear wrap or wax paper on top and roll out (not too thin).
- Use a cookie cutter to make shapes.
- Sprinkle the crushed candy cane pieces on top and press them down slightly into the cookie so that they stay.
- Bake for 9 minutes, then let them cool for 5 minutes.