Flour- Less Red Velvet Brownies
Brownies are always a hit in our family and with our kids’ friends. They are slightly gooey with some small chunks of cacao nibs and have this beautiful cacao aroma.
The brownies freeze very well and taste especially delicious when served warm with a scoop of vegan vanilla or banana ice cream on top.
- 1 cup red beans
- ½ cup red beets, cooked
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup date paste
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup raw chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a food processor puree beets and beans. Add the remaining ingredients except the cacao nibs and blend until smooth.
- Stir in the nibs.
- Line a square 10" baking tray with parchment paper. Add brownie mixture and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Let cool off and cut in squares.
- I recommend using red beans, that you have cooked by yourself as opposed to canned beans. By soaking and cooking them properly, most of the physic acid is reduced. Not sure what I mean? Read my post on activating foods.