Oh My Goodness Amazing French Fruit Galette
A galette is a delicious French, flat crispy cake which can be either savory or sweet.
It takes only ten minutes to prepare the dough, which turns this recipe into an emergency recipe- whipped up in no time when in need for a something sweet (emergency= hungry kids plus friends deciding to stay for the afternoon, surprise visit from relatives, tired worn out mom who has no more energy for making anything complicated etc).
You only need 5 ingredients for the batter:
- flour (preferably 80% stoneground, whole wheat flour mixed with 20% stoneground unbleached white flour),
- water (filtered and cold),
- vegan butter and
“WHAT?? Sugar? Isn’t this supposed to be a whole-food-free-from-refined-products blog?” You might be asking yourself. And yes, it is but once every blue moon 1 tablespoon of sugar in a cake is acceptable, in my opinion. Feel free to leave out the sugar altogether if you think otherwise. Funny enough, I had trouble finding a bit of sugar in my pantry. Eventually, I found some leftovers of evaporated cane sugar, hidden behind the flours. Usually, I don’t need sugar at all- I use natural sweeteners like dates, bananas or stevia (if I need just a hint of sweetness in yogurt etc). “But wait”, you might say, “Isn’t vegan butter processed as well??” And again, I have to agree. But as for the sugar, a bit of vegan butter, used very sporadically, should be ok. I am trying out different truly whole-food plant-based batters at the moment. If I find an alternative that is as good as this recipe, I will post it immediately.
The filling does not hold any surprises: fresh ripe fruits, a little bit of cinnamon, pure vanilla and flour (to soak up the moisture from the fruits).
Vive la France!
- 3/4 cup stoneground whole- wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, cut in small cubes
- 1/4 cup cold filtered water
- 1 tbsp evaporated cane sugar
- 2 peaches, pitted and sliced
- 4 pink plums, pitted and sliced
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla powder
- Place the butter cubes in the fridge for a few minutes.
- In a bowl, mix together flour, salt and sugar.
- With a fork, mix in the butter cubes until the flour has a coarse consistency. Don't worry about larger butter.
- Slowly stir in the cold water, 1 tbsp at a time, until the dough holds together. Knead it gently for a minute until the dough forms a ball and place it in the fridge for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for the filling in a small bowl and preheat the oven on 375F (170C).
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough with a rolling pin into a round disc. Place the filling in the Center and fold the borders over the edges of the fruits.
- Bake the galette for 20-25 minutes in the oven until the dough is slightly browned and crispy.