Homemade Pie Crust
Sometimes it can be hard to convince yourself to make your own crust when frozen ones are so readily available. To me, frozen is easy. Fresh is better. Much better.
Making your own crust is a little bit time consuming. Therefore, I like to prepare the crust the night before.
- 2 sticks of vegan buttery sticks chopped into small cubes
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 cups flour (I use half whole wheat pastry flour and half whole spelt )
- 1/3-1/2 cups chilled water
- 1/2 tbsp raw sugar
- Extra flour for rolling out dough
- Put the butter cubes for at least 30 min in the freezer. Add the flour/ sugar/salt to the bowl of the food processor and store it on the fridge at the same time.
- Add in the butter cubes and pulse it turns into a clumpy dry mixture.
- Add in the water a little bit at a time. I usually use 1/3 - 1/2 cup ice water.
- Transfer the dough to a floured flat surface and knead it for a couple of minutes. Add in more four if too wet. Separate dough in two pieces, wrap and chill in the freezer for 1/2 hour.
- Next, roll out the dough pieces on a floured surface with a rolling pin until you have two rounds the size of the pie form.
- If you want, you can now cut one disc in strips to use on top of the pie filling. Alternatively, place the whole disc as the top layer.
- Place the bottom layer in the pie form and bake for 5 minutes at 200C (400F). Add pie filling, place the top layer on it and bake according to the instructions (usually 15min at 200C, then 20-25 min at 180C/375F).