Homemade Vegan Nutella
Our kids love homemade Nutella. We use it as a spread on bread or as filling in leftover “pancake sandwiches”. The most decadent way to enjoy it is to prepare Nutella french toast, which is basically a Nutella sandwich that is soaked in a milk mixture and fried in a pan.
Make sure to activate the nuts by soaking them overnight in salted water. Rinse them well the next day and drain them. dry the in a dehydrator or inthe oven on the lowest setting. I store large batches of activated nuts in the fridge. Soaking makes hte nuts more digestible and increases the mineral uptake. SOAKING NUTS, SEEDS, LEGUMES AND GRAINS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!
- 2 cups activated hazelnuts*
- 1 1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup raw cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup activated almond milk (check label! The one I use is from Pureharvest)
- Preheat oven to 420 degrees. Scatter the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes. Let them cool completely. Remove their skins while rubbing them with a paper towel.
- Blend hazelnuts in a food processor until they have a butter like consistency.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth.
- Taste and adjust if necessary.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Soaked for 24 hours, rinsed well, drained and dried.