Incredibly Moist Strawberry Cake
After having made three different strawberry recipes for one of my latest posts on strawberries, I still had some left. I interviewed the kids what they would like me to make and -what a surprise- they asked for a cake. Specifically, for a lemon cake with strawberry frosting. I usually avoid recipes with frosting, because of the main ingredient in it- sugar! So I changed the recipe into a moist strawberry cake which they absolutely adored.
Strawberries rank amongst the top 10 fruits and vegetables in antioxidant capacity. They are rich in the essential nutrients vitamin C, potassium, folic acid and fiber. One cup of fresh strawberries contains 160% of your daily needs for vitamin C!
- 3/4 cup date paste (see recipe in dessert section)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 medium bananas
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups diced strawberries, fresh or frozen (if using frozen, thaw and drain them)
- Preheat the oven to 375F (170C) and line a square 10" baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, combine the bananas, applesauce date paste and vanilla. Puree until smooth.
- Transfer to a large bowl and sift in the flour and baking powder.
- Mix until well combined. Stir in the strawberries.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.