Leek Zucchini Soup with Parsley and Lemon
Leeks have a unique combination of important nutrients and should be part of your regular diet. They belong together with onions and garlic to a vegetable family called the Allium vegetables. Many people are unfamiliar with how to cook leeks. Prepare leeks by cutting off green tops of leeks and remove outer tough leaves. Cut off root and cut leeks in half lengthwise. Fan out the leeks and rinse well under running water, leaving them intact. Cut leeks into very thin slices to shorten the cooking time. Let leeks sit for at least 5 minutes before cooking to enhance their health-promoting qualities.
- 2 leeks, washed and sliced in thin slices
- 1 tbsp extra vergin olive oil
- 1 large zucchini, washed and cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 cup organic soy milk
- Handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Slices of whole grain bread
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- Salt to taste
- In a heavy pot heat oil. Add Zucchini and leek and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly browned. Stir in one cup of broth at a time and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add milk, juice, turmeric and salt and bring to a gentle boil.
- Remove from stove, let cool off slightly and puree in a blender until smooth.
- Toast slices of bread and rub with garlic half.
- Pour the soup into bowls, garnish with parsley and serve with toasted garlic bread.