We used to spend quite a few holidays in Italy, where we indulged in the most delicious food. Every restaurant menu offers at least one variety of toasted bread with a topping- the most popular ones include olives, mushrooms or tomatoes (check out my Bruschetta recipe!).
What strikes me every time is the simplicity of the Italian recipes. Yet they are among the most tasty dishes, partly because they use lots of herbs and fresh vegetables.
- 1 pint of button mushrooms
- 2 tbsp wholemeal flour
- Salt and pepper
- Chili oil (optional)
- Wholemeal bread or dark baguette, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- Chop mushrooms by hand or in a food processor.
- Heat pan over medium- high heat. Add mushrooms and fry them until most of their liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in flour. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add 1 tsp of chili oil (optional).
- Let cool. Toast bread slices and rub them with garlic halves. Top with mushroom mixture and serve.