Oil Free Lemon Cake
I got the idea for this delicious recipe when I was flicking through the recipe section of Dr. Esselstein’s book “How to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease”. In this book are a ton of fat free and low sugar recipes included. I slightly adjusted the recipe and the cake was a big hit.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup date paste
- 1/4 brown sugar and some more to sprinkle the cake
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Lemon peel of 1/2 organic lemon
- 2 egg replacers (I use 1 tbsp Energy- Egg Replacer mixed with 4 tbsp filtered water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375F/170C.
- Line a 10" square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add lemon juice to milk and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a big bowl.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture, combine well and fill in baking pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick put in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool off a bit.
- Squirt some lemon juice on top and sprinkle with brown sugar.