Oven Baked Apples Two Ways
With or without ice cream, served cold or warm, stuffed baked apples always taste delicious!!
Instead of ice cream, try to top the apples with warm vanilla sauce. I peeled the apples only because Ben and Vivian prefer it that way. Personally, I think they taste even better with the skin.
You can either cut the bread in small pieces, tear it with your fingers or throw it in a food processor. As I hate to throw away food, I remove the apple stems from the cut off top and add them to the fruit juices.
Place a small amount of butter on top of the nut filling and bake in the oven.
- 6 large apples
- 1/2 cup organic apple juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 tsp cinnamon, halved
- 1 tsp vegan butter, halved
- 1/2 cup ground nuts (I used 1/4 cup hazelnuts and 1/4 cup walnuts)
- 2 tsp raw sugar
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 tsp vegan butter
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 tbsp marzipan
- 3 cups two day old bread, crumbled
- For the marzipan filling, heat butter in a pan over medium heat. Add bread crumbs and cook until golden brown, stirring often.
- Transfer bread mixture to a bowl and let cool off.
- Add marzipan, cinnamon and 1/4 cup of raisins and knead with your fingers until smooth.
- Heat 1 tsp butter in a pan over medium heat. Add nuts and cook until slightly roasted, stirring constantly, about 3-4 minutes. Pour the nuts in a small bowl and stir in cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Cut off the top part of the apples and remove the core. Leave about 5mm (1/2 ") of wall.
- Stuff half the apples with one filling and the other half with the second filling.
- Preheat oven to 170C (350F).
- In an ovenproof baking pan, combine apple juice, orange juice and lemon juice. Stir in cinnamon and remaining raisins.
- Place apples in the pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until soft. Let cool off and serve with or without a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream.
- I use only activated nuts in my recipes, meaning I soak them, rinse them, drain and dry them prior to using them.