Fake Egg Salad
This recipe looks like egg salad and tastes somewhat like egg salad, but is completely cholesterol free and healthy. On the picture you can see a pita bread filled with the salad. Today, I would use a proper long fermented sourdough bread instead of pita bread.
- 1 package extra firm tofu, drained
- 1/2 cup dairy free mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp sweet onion, minced
- Pita bread, cut in half
- Salad leaves, washed
- Wrap Tofu in paper towels and gently squeeze as much water out as possible.Cut tofu in small cubes.
- Heat a medium pan over medium heat and saute tofu cubes for a few minutes. let cool off for a few minutes.
- Combine tofu with the remaining ingredients except the salad in a bowl.
- Fill pita bread halves with tofu salad and add salad leaves.