Strawberry, Spinach and Almond Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
I find that this salad tastes best when served cold- but maybe I am mentioning this only because it feels like 40 degrees C (104F) outside at the moment. I keep the strawberries in the fridge until the last minute before I assemble the salad. I usually make the dressing ahead of time and keep it in the fridge in a closed jar. We like the simple combination of just the spinach, strawberries and almonds, but feel free to add some slices of avocado or some thinly sliced red onion.
Poppy seeds add color and crunch to foods, but you’ll also gain nutrients, even if you just add a small amount. They contain some niacin and folate, but poppy seeds are a better source of minerals. Just 1 teaspoon provides measurable amounts of calcium, iron and zinc.
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2- 1 tbsp honey
- 3/4 tbsp poppy seeds
- Salt and pepper
- In a small skillet toast almonds over low heat until slightly brown.
- For the dressing blend all ingredients together in a blender until smooth.
- Whisk all ingredients together until combined.
- Toss the spinach leaves, strawberry leaves and almonds. Drizzle the desired amount of dressing over the salad and mix well. Serve immediately.