Sweet Potato Leek Gratin
While a diet containing a variety of fruits and vegetables is best, orange is one of the healthiest colors you can look for. Some of the healthiest orange fruits and vegetables are sweet potatoes, squash, pumpkin, carrots, mangoes, oranges and papaya.
The abundance of antioxidants, vitamins, fiber and phytonutrients in orange foods are good for your skin, eyes and heart. The best-known nutrient in orange foods is beta carotene, a powerful antioxidant which gives sunny fruits and vegetables their brilliant color.
Beta carotene is a precursor for vitamin A, which is commonly referred to as retinal, retinol and retonoic acid. Vitamin A is important for night vision, as an antioxidant can neutralize the damaging free radicals in the body, and is crucial in the health of your immune system. Orange foods are full of vitamin C, an antioxidant which boosts the immune system, protects against cardiovascular disease and helps rebuild collagen in the skin.
In Papua New Guinea more than 16 different varieties of sweet potatoes can be found. Sweet, isn’t it?
- 2 medium leeks, white and green parts thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/8 inch thick slices
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp dry Italian herbs
- 1/4 cup grated vegan cheese (optional)
- 1/4 cup wholemeal breadcrumbs (preferably homemade form old bread)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Heat medium sized non-stick skillet over medium heat and saute leek, garlic and rosemary until softened, about 10 minutes. If the veggies start to stick to the skillet add 1 tbsp water.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Thinly coat 10" round pan with oil and arrange1/3 potato slices over bottom of pan, slightly overlapping. Spread half of the leek mixture on top. Arrange another layer of potatoes on top. Spread remaining leek over potatoes. Top with a round of potatoes, covor with aluminum foil and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix breadcrumbs with Italian herbs in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle over potatoes and top with cheese.
- Cook uncovered for another 10 minutes.
- Remove foil and serve hot.