When preparing a pumpkin pie you can make your life very easy using canned pureed pumpkin and premixed pumpkin pie spice. Once you have tasted fresh, homemade pumpkin puree you will happily steam a piece of butternut squash. In the pumpkin pie spice mix you will usually find sulphating agents, which have caused bad health reactions to millions of people. Even the New York Times ran an article on that topic (read more on http://www.nytimes.com/1984/06/27/garden/personal-health-027820.html)
I would therefore advise you to use the individual spices!
- 1 10 ounce (300g) package of silken tofu
- Almost two cups of steamed and pureed butternut squash
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup date paste (see recipe in desserts)
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 12 small pie shells
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a food processor cream the tofu, pumpkin, spices, date paste and sugar.
- Fill in pie shells and bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Let the pies cool off, then chill in the fridge for several hours or overnight.