Use whatever vegetables you can find in your fridge. This dish will always taste amazing, no matter what you add. It even tastes better the next day when the veggies could soak up the aroma of the herbs. Once again, Italians prove that a simple dish with fresh ingredients and herbs can be incredibly flavorful.
if you don’t want to add rice, omit the water as well. You will only need a bit of olive oil to coat the vegetables. Also, feel free to substitute water with vegetable broth.
- 2 bunches asparagus, washed and cut in smaller bits
- 3 zucchini, sliced and halved
- 6 large potatoes, washed and cubed
- 2 handful of green beans, ends cut off and cut in half
- 3 large tomatoes, cubed
- 1/4 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 twigs of fresh thyme
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp extra vergin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 420 degrees F.
- Put veggies in a very large baking pan.
- Pour water, olive oil on top and add herbs. Sprinkle with rice and season generously. Put your clean hands in the pan and give all the veggies a toss so herbs, and oil and salt and pepper go on everything.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour, stirring everything up a couple of times.
- Remove the foil and cook for another 30-40 minutes until the veggies are slightly brown.