When egg salad is made with eggs and regular mayonnaise, it is a high-fat, high-cholesterol combination that’s best avoided. In this recipe, tofu, which is sort of a culinary chameleon, takes the place of the eggs and the animal based mayonnaise is replaced with plant-based vegan mayonnaise. Even if you don’t like tofu, you’ll probably like this version of an “egg” slaad. It tastes nothing like tofu.
This salad is delicious served in warmed pita breads with lettuce OR serve on fresh bread with baby spinach or baby arugula, accompanied by dill pickle spears OR lose the bread altogether and serve in individual lettuce leaves (tender leaves are best), or just dolloped onto any kind of green salad.
- 1 package firm tofu
- 1/2 sweet onion
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pita bread
- Hearts of romaine
- Wrap the tofu in kitchen towels and gently squeeze out most of the water without
- squishing the tofu.
- Cut the tofu in cubes.
- Heat the cubes in the pan on medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring every now and then. Let the pieces cool off in a bowl.
- Chop the onion. Add the mayonnaise, mustard, turmeric and vinegar. Mix well with a spoon and season with black pepper.
- Cut the pita bread in half. Toast it and spoon some of the egg salad into the opening. Top with sald and enjoy.