What is yellow, cheesy and super healthy…nutritional yeast flakes. We love the taste of them, but there are a few more reasons to eat nutritional yeast on a regular basis:
- It is a plant source of Vitamin B12. This crucial nutrient is involved in the production of red blood cells and in producing and maintaining myelin, the protective insulation around nerves. Most sources of Vitamin B-12 are animal based, so nutritional yeast is a major player in the nutritional wellbeing of vegans and vegetarians. One tablespoon will provide an adult with a full day’s supply of B-12.Filled with vitamin B’s, nutritional yeast boasts trace minerals and, being a complete, bioavailable source of protein, contains all 18 amino acids.
- It is rich in folic acid. Folic acid is a form of the water-soluble vitamin B9. Folic acid is a key factor in the synthesis of nucleic acid – nucleic acid is one of a family of large molecules including DNA and RNA. The human body does not store folic acid, we have to consume it every day in order to make sure we have adequate amounts.
- It is not only high in protein, but also contains all 18 amino acids. 2 tablespoons of the yellow flakes contain 9 grams of protein. That’s more than in 1 cup of whole milk (8g), a large egg (6g).
- Nutritional yeast is high in fiber, which is essential for the proper function of our digestive system.
Spreads and dips are a great way to add nutritional yeast to.
Another great way is to sprinkle the flakes on cauliflower, together with a little bit of olive oil. Then bake in the oven until golden brown. Yummy!!
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 30 mins or overnight
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water (or more as needed)
- 2 large handful fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt (or to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Drain and rinse soaked cashews. With the food processor turned on, drop in the garlic cloves and process until chopped.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth, scraping down the bowl as needed.