We eat a lot of oranges and I was looking for new recipes that I could try out. On one of the numerous vegan webpages (there are hardly any plant- based sites) I found a mouth watering looking slice of orange cake. I decided to turn it into a plant- based version and give it a try.
Nothing easier than that- swapped the refined sugar for date paste, the oil for apple sauce and added a little extra taste with fresh orange zest. I would have loved to add a bit of Cointreau (orange liquor), but could’t find any. If you happen to have it at home, I bet it’s going to taste amazing.
Cake turned out to be a big hit- especially, once I topped the cake with vanilla coconut ice cream!
Make sure you bake the cake long enough so the inside is well baked- leave the cake in the oven for at least 35 minutes.
- Dry ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Wet ingredients:
- Zest from 1 organic lemon
- Juice from two juicy oranges (about 2 cups OJ, optional: sub 1 tbsp OJ with 1 tbsp Cointreau)
- 1 cup date paste
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- Combine the wet ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and mix well.
- Transfer the batter to a round cake pan, lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350F (170C) for about 35-40 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center and check wether it comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool off on a rack.
- Serve with orange slices and a dollop of coconut vanilla whipped cream.