Extremely fluffy, moist and sweet cookies. Freezing the strawberries beforehand prevents the cookies from being too moist. I had a few leftover vegan chocolate chip cookies in my pantry that I wanted to utilize but honestly, the cookies are naturally sweet enough and you do not need to add chocolate chips at all.
If you’re not already a fan of STRAWBERRIES, you should be. Not only are they juicy, summery and delicious, they’re a great superfood, too. Nutrient-rich and packed with antioxidants, strawberries offer a wide range of health benefits, some of which may surprise you. To read up on them, click here to get to my special strawberry health benefit post http://plantbasedhappy.com/?p=5403
I had a few leftover vegan chocolate chips left in my pantry that I stirred into the batter, but the cookies turned out to be almost too sweet, so there is definitely NO need for chocolate chips.
Instead of regular eggs, I often use a flax egg as a substitute. Sound more fancy that it really is- just mix 1 tbsp of flax seed with 3 tbsp of water and wait until it thickens up. Flaxseed is one of the most powerful plant foods on the planet. This is what makes them so amazing:
- Omega-3 essential fatty acids, “good” fats that have been shown to have heart-healthy effects.
- Lignans, which have both plant estrogen and antioxidant qualities. Flaxseed contains 75 to 800 times more lignans than other plant foods.
- Fiber. Flaxseed contains both the soluble and insoluble types.
You can sprinkle flaxseed on cereal, use it when baking, add some to oatmeal or rice flakes etc…very versatile, they act as a binder in baked goods and other recipes like veggie burgers, add moisture to baked goods and help baked goods rise.
- Dry ingredients:
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Wet ingredients:
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flaxseed mixed with 3 tbsp water; let sit for 5 minutes)
- 1/2 cup unsweetend apple sauce
- 1/2 cup date paste
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp pureed strawberries
- 1 ripe mashed banana
- Stir ins:
- 3/4 cup chopped frozen strawberries
- 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 275F (170C).
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- in another bow, combine the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Fold in the frozen strawberries and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.