This is a great combination of three pinkish reddish vegetables- red beets, red beans and red onion. I always steam a whole bunch of red beats and use them in brownies, marinated and mixed with chickpeas or as a simple addition to salads or sandwiches.
The ground oats in the dough act like a glue for the patties- you can sub them with any type of flour. The onions are caramelized to add more flavor to them and remove the sharp onion taste.
I cooked the patties in the oven but feel free to fry them in a skillet. The patties are slightly softer than other patties I have made, but delicious.
- 1 can red beans, washed and rinsed
- 3 medium red beets, steamed or cooked until tender
- 1tsp extra vergin olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- Slightly less than 1/2 cup rolled oats
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- In a blender, grind oats into flour. In a small bowl. Mix half of the flour with warm water and put aside for a couple of minutes.
- Heat oil in a skillet and cook red onion over low heat until caramelized, about a few minutes. Add garlic and spring onions and cook for another couple of minutes.
- In a food processor, puree all ingredients until smooth.
- Chill the mixture in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F(200C).
- Form patties, place them on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Flip patties over and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with buns, sliced tomatoes, sliced avocado and whole grain mustard.