This is a great and versatile veggie loaf recipes, that you can easily change and customize using different herbs and spices.
Make sure you leave the parchment paper long enough on the sides so can remove the loaf easily once baked.
Simply Delicious Plant-Based Lentil Loaf with Cranberry Glaze
- Fro the loaf:
- 1 cup dry brown lentils
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 2 tbsp extra olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 2 small or 1 large carrot
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/2 cup oat flour (ground rolled oats in my blender)
- 3 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup whole breadcrumbs (I toasted two slices of bread and ground them in the blender)
- 1/2 tsp each garlic powder & onion powder
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- For the glaze;
- Cranberry sauce
- Rinse lentils. In large pot combine water with lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid and let lentils cool off in the water for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- In small bowl combine flaxseed meal and water and set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- In a food processor, chop all vegetables in small pieces. Heat olive oil in a skillet and sautee vegetables for a few minutes. Mix in onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Grind oats in to flour, then the bread slices into crumbs.
- In the food processor or blender, blend 3/4 of the lentil mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine sauteed vegetables, lentils, oats, oat flour, thyme, lemon, breadcrumbs and flax egg. With a fork, mix the lentil mixture until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Transfer the mixture into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper. Press down firmly to make the mixture smooth.
- Spread cranberry sauce on top and bake for 40-45 minutes.