This curry includes everything that we all love- a few delicious ingredients, healthy and tasty spices (hello turmeric!!), quick preparation and short cooking time.
Feel free to add different greens than spinach. Not always do I find the greens that I would like to use in a recipe and have to substitute with something else. I would have loved to use mustard greens, which I haven’t used very often. Raw mustard greens have a sharp flavor. When wilted down though, they mellow down quite a bit and develop a mild flavor.
For children, I find spinach leaves, chard, collard greens or Tuscan kale ideal because of their soft texture and mild flavor.
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-3 carrots, sliced
- 2-3 potatoes, cubed
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, chopped
- 1/2 cauliflower, cut in small florets
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 small fresh hot chili, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 5-6 cups baby spinach (or any other spinach, chopped)
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over low/ medium heat. Add onions and sautee until translucent. Add a tbsp of water of the onions start to stick to the pan.
- Add garlic and sautee for one minute.
- Add carrots, potatoes and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring the mixture to the boil and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add ginger, cauliflower, spices, chili and coconut milk and bring to the boil again. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add spinach and cover. Let it wilt down, stir it in, then season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.