Only three ingredients are used to make this delicious spread:
1. Activated, raw cashews: I urge you to really activate them prior to using them because only then will you be able to access all the nutrients in the nuts and make them easier to digest (see my post on how to activate nuts and seeds http://plantbasedhappy.com/?p=6272)
2. Homemade plain soy yogurt: very easy to make, don’t let the word “homemade” scare you off (read my post on how to make soy yogurt http://plantbasedhappy.com/?p=6362)
3. Fine sea salt
All you need to do is blend the ingredients in a blender or food processor until creamy and let it rest for 24-48 hours. That’s really it!
- For savory varieties, mix the cream cheese with yellow and red bell pepper cubes, fresh herbs (basil, parsley, thyme comes to my mind right away), a few drops of lemon juice and some organic lemon zest.
- For a more smokey flavor add roasted garlic and chipotle peppers to the cream cheese.
- Add nutritional yeast to give it more of a cheesy flavor.
- Add roasted bell peppers, liquid smoke and ground crispy nori sheets.
- For a sweet variation mix the cream cheese with ground cinnamon, maple syrup, a pinch of salt and chopped activated pecans (read my post on how to activate nuts and seeds).
- 2 cups raw cashes, activated (soaked overnight in salt water, rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup homemade plain soy yogurt
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- Filtered water as needed
- In a blender or food processor, process ingredients until smooth. If necessary, add a tiny bit of water.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and let sit at room temperature (about 25C/ F) for 24-48 hours.
- Stir in a little bit of water to achieve the desired consistency.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.