Activated Rolled Oats with Apples, Cinnamon & Raisins
The smell of cinnamon combined with the warmth of creamy oatmeal makes you feel instantly cozy and happy. You can also enjoy it cold on a hot summer morning. I either chop an apple in small pieces or grate it- either way, it tastes wonderful!
Make sure you activate the oats overnight as they contain a very high amount of physic acid (see my post on activation http://plantbasedhappy.com/?p=6272 and iron deficiencies http://plantbasedhappy.com/?p=6875). The easiest way is to activate oats is to soak them overnight in plant-based milk or water with a tablespoon of plant-based yogurt that contains live cultures and a tablespoon of buckwheat or rye flour. Both grains contain large amounts of phytase, the enzyme that breaks down phytates (physic acid bound to minerals).
Fill leftover oats in a jar, drizzle with maple syrup and store in the fridge- it makes a wonderful morning snack.
- Start to prepare the oatmeal the night before. It will save you the cooking time. You can eat it cold or warm it up.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- Almond milk
- 1 tbsp plant-based yogurt with living cultures
- 1 tbsp buckwheat or rye flour
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 apple, chopped or grated and/or blueberries
- Maple syrup
- In a bowl, combine oats, cinnamon, milk, raisins, flour and yogurt.
- Cover and leave overnight.
- Enjoy the oats at room temperature or heat them up.
- Next morning, transfer the oats to a small saucepan and warm up gently while constantly stirring.
- Divide among bowls, top with apples and berries and drizzle with a very small amount of maple syrup.