Amazing Apple Pie
Apple pies are some of our favorite fall recipes. This one here might take a little bit more time because it includes the caramel sauce, but believe me it is definitely worth your time.
There a different ways to make the top layer- either you make a one piece lid or a lattice design that you can see on my pictures. If you choose one top layer, poke some holes into it with a fork. This will allow moisture to escape and prevent the pie from becoming soggy.
You can also opt for no crust at all and just bake the apple mixture in the oven and top with the caramel sauce.
There is no way to avoid some sort of butter in a caramel sauce, but a little goes a long way and just adds this extra special taste to it. Alternatively, you can serve the pie warm topped with dairy free vanilla ice cream. Absolutely amazing!!
- 2 vegan pie crusts, frozen (or homemade- see recipe in desserts)
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup raw sugar (or less, according to taste)
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- Dash cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 3 large apples, peeled and sliced extra thin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp caramel apple sauce
- Preheat oven to 200C (400F).
- Toss the apples in a large bowl with the remaining ingredients and set aside.
- For the caramel sauce dissolve the corn starch into the cider. Add it to a sauce pan with the other ingredients and slowly bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce to medium heat and continue stirring until the mixture thickens a bit. Remove from stove. Add 2 tbsp of the caramel sauce to the apple mixture.
- Bake pie shell for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and fill with apple mixture. Feel free to either top it with second pie crust or do a lattice design as seen on my pictures.
- Bake pie for 15 minutes, then reduce to 180C (350F) and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let pie cool off. Serve warm or at room temperature with warm caramel sauce.