Berrylicious Acai Bowl with Overnight Steel Cut Oats
Steel cut oats add a nice slightly chewy texture to the creamy softness of the acai. Feel free to include your favorite type of activated nuts or seeds as a topping. Delicious and healthy toppings include chia seeds, sesame seeds, pecans, macadamia nuts, dried goji berries etc.
Make sure to add some rye or buckwheat flour and/ or live plant-based yogurt when soaking the oats to reduce the amount of phytic acid in them (see post on activation http://plantbasedhappy.com/?p=6272).
- 1 frozen acai pouch, thawed
- 1 banana (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 1 tsp buckwheat or rye flour
- 1 tsp plant-based life yogurt
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 banana, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- 1 handful of blueberries, washed
- 4 strawberries, washed and quartered
- The night before, place oats together with flour and yogurt in a small saucepan. Add 1 cup of water, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Turn off the stove and let the oats rest overnight.
- The next morning, blend the banana and acai in a high speed blender until smooth.
- Divide the oats amount the bowls and top with acai sauce.
- Sprinkle with berries, coconut flakes or your favorite toppings and serve right away.