Blueberry Quinoa Bread
This recipe gives a little twist to the traditional banana bread. It is loaded with antioxidants and fiber. I only add the glaze because the kids love the sweet and sour taste of it and never forget asking for it.
The blueberry bread tastes absolutely delicious with the lemon sugar glaze. Or serve it warm topped with dairy free vanilla ice cream and fresh blueberries.
- 1 ripe medium banana
- 1 cup soy or almond milk
- 1/3 cup vanilla soy yogurt
- 1/3 cup date paste (see recipe in "dessert" section)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (optional)
- Additional brown sugar to drizzle on bread (optional)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl mash the banana with a fork. Add yogurt, milk, date paste, sugar and vanilla and mix well.
- In a small bowl combine flour and baking soda.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and combine well.
- Stir in blueberries.
- Fill dough in a loaf pan lined with parchment paper or use a silicone pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and set aside in the pan for 5 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle lemon juice on the bread and sprinkle sugar on top.
- Cut into slices and serve.