Coconut Rice with Peas, Herbs and Sweet Tofu
This is a very flavorful dish that is very easy to prepare. The rice will cook in the oven while you have time for other things. All you need do to in the end is to quickly fry the tofu.
Sorry about the missing peas…realized too late that there were none left in the freezer..it was nevertheless a delicious dish!
- 1 cup brown rice, washed and drained
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 package firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ tablespoon tamari
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the rice in a deep baking dish.
- In a medium sized pot combine parsley, cilantro, coconut milk, broth, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Pour mixture over rice, cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven, take off foil and stir the rice with a fork.
- Stir in peas and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine maple syrup, tamari and mix well with a spoon.
- Ten minutes before the rice is done heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and fry the tofu cubes until slightly brown. If they start to stick to the skillet add 1 tablespoon of water.
- Pour the maple syrup sauce over the tofu and stir well. Cook for another minute and remove from the heat.
- Serve the rice with the tofu cubes.
- Don't forget to soak the rice overnight in an acidic medium (e.g. water with a tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice) to reduce phytic acid