Creamy Pasta with Red Peppers and Roasted Eggplant
Usually, especially on week nights, I am in a hurry to prepare dinner for my family and every dish has to be done within 30 minutes- from preparation to finish. That´s why I am forced to speed up the preparation of the eggplant. If you happen to have some extra time on hand, try the following slightly different- and more sophisticated- way of frying the eggplant:
With a mandolin, cut the eggplant in thin slices. Press the slices with both sides into your favorite flour (I use spelt or whole wheat) and fry them in a little bit of EVOO in a large non- stick skillet. The eggplant slices will become crispy and will look more like eggplant chips.
As you can see, when I took this picture of the pasta, I was once again multi- tasking in my kitchen- and unfortunately, there was no time for preparing eggplant chips…
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 eggplant, cut in strips
- 1 handful of fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves, cut in slices
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Grill peppers in oven until the skin forms bubbles. Remove from oven and place in a plastic bag for 10 minutes.
- Peel the peppers and discard the seeds and stem. Puree in a blender with paprika and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, fry the eggplant strips and set aside. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook noodles according to directions.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes on low heat. remove garlic and add basil leaves to the skillet. Add noodles and pepper sauce right away and stir well.
- Divide the noodles among pasta bowls and top with eggplant strips.