Baking gingerbread men is definitely a must in our family. The kids love to decorate them and to eat them fresh out of the oven. This year, our son did most of the work and I had time to take the pictures.
Write a review
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax seeds mixed with 3 tbsp water)
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 3 Tbsp molasses
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, softened
- 3/4 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup spelt flour
For the icing decoration
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- Few drops of almond milk
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flax egg and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Add softened butter, molasses, almond butter, brown sugar, salt, spices, baking soda and whisk until well combined.
- Stir in flour. Knead the dough with your hands until it forms into a nice ball.
- Cover and chill dough 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Roll out dough between two sheets of plastic wrap or wax paper on a flat surface to a little thicker than 1/8 inch (~1/2 cm).
- Cut out shapes with the gingerbread cookie cutter. Carefully transfer them onto the baking tray.
- Bake for 8 or until they appear slightly browned on the edges. Remove from oven and let cool off.
- Once cooled, decorate with frosting. Make sure the frosting is thick enough so it doesn't run.