Greek Inspired Oven Baked Vegetables With Rice
One of my favorite recipe for leftover vegetables. I was inspired by Greek friends who basically throw all kinds of vegetables together, add olive oil and fresh herbs and bake them in the oven. No matter what you have on hand, eggplant, potatoes etc this basic dish will always have an amazing taste. For a more Italian twist, add a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste to the mixture before putting int in the oven.
- 2 zucchini, washed, slices and quartered
- 1 white onion, cut in thin slices
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut in 1/2" slices
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 large button mushrooms
- 2 handful of small tomatoes, washed and halved
- 1/2 cup brown rice, soaked overnight in acidic medium (water with a splash of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, rinsed weel and drained)
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 cup water of vegetable broth
- Sea salt, freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375F (170C).
- In a medium baking pan toss all vegetables together, season with salt and pepper, drizzle some olive oil on top and add 1/2 cup of water or broth.
- Bake 1/2 hour in the preheated oven, covered with foil, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover the pan, add another 1/2 cup of water or broth and cook for 1/2 hour until until the vegetables are tender and lightly brown and the rice is cooked.