It is way easier than you think to make your own Granola. You only need one bowl, one spoon and the ingredients. Done. The advantage is that you select the ingredients as well as the sugar and fat content. Most of the store bought granola looks delicious but does not necessarily contain the healthiest amount of oil and sugar. I don’t feel the need to add oil to the granola at all, because I simply swap the oil with applesauce… it tastes just as wonderful without the oil and is much healthier.
You can easily customize this recipe to your taste adding your favourite nuts, seeds and different type of dried fruit.
EXTREMELY IMPORTANT NOTE: only use activated nuts/seeds and try to use activated oats as well as they contain an extremely high content of physic acid. Activating foods is the only way to access important minerals like calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and zinc (read more http://plantbasedhappy.com/?p=6272 http://plantbasedhappy.com/?p=6875)
…dearly loved by all! Our children choose their favorite combinationof nuts, dried fruits and seeds for their very own granola.
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats, activated
- 2 cups cup activated pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, almonds
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/3 cup unsweetened organic apple sauce
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups dried cranberries or raisins, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mix oats and nuts/ seeds together in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Mix in salt, cinnamon, and cardamom and stir thoroughly to combine.
- Stir in the applesauce, sweetener and vanilla extract.
- Spread the granola on a backing tray lined with baking paper and bake for about 30-40 minutes until lightly browned. Stir every 15 minutes to make sure the granola is cooking evenly.
- After 25 minutes add coconut flakes.
- Remove granola from oven and mix with dried fruits.
- Let the granola cool. It will dry out and become firm.
- Store the granola in an airtight container for 7 to 10 days or increase the shelf life by storing it in the refrigerator.
- If using roasted nuts or seeds add them after the granola is baked. I love the flavor of coconut and always add them in my granola. Only add them during the last 15 minutes in the oven to avoid burning them.