Homemade Sweet Potato Gnocchi With Sage
Homemade gnocchi are easy to make but are a somewhat messy task. The dough has to be slightly sticky, not too hard but not too soft either. Remove your rings from your fingers before you start kneading otherwise they will be completely covered in sticky dough. The result is worth the effort though- homemade gnocchi taste just delicious!
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 2 1/2 cups whole meal flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 handful fresh sage leaves, washed and roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp extra vergin olive oil
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- With a fork, poke several holes in the potatoes and cook them in the microwave for 4 minutes. Flip over and cook for another 4 minutes. Let them cool down a little.
- Scoop out the flesh with a spoon and place it in a bowl.
- Add salt, nutmeg and flour and combine well with your hands.
- Add a little bit of flour, to a flat surface, take a small handful of dough and roll it into a 1' thick long roll. Cut in 1' pieces and slightly make a dent with a fork on each piece. make sure they are always slightly covered in flour so they won't stick to the knife or the surface.
- Heat the oil and the butter in a large saucepan and add the sage leaves. Fry them on low heat for a few minutes, then turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot with salted water to a boil and add the gnocchi in batches. As soon as they swim to the surface, after 2-3 minutes, take them out with a skimmer.
- Add the gnocchi to the saucepan and move them around so they get completely covered in the sage oil.
- Serve immediately.