Overnight Steel Cut Oats with Grated Pear and Blueberries
I usually make a whole batch of oats and use them for breakfast or snacks- or even lunch sometimes. The chia seeds add a nice crunchiness to the soft oats. And even if I repeat myself all the time- don’t forget to activate the oats!! (see post on activation http://plantbasedhappy.com/?p=6272).
Grated apples are juicy and soft- just what our kids love. When I was little, we children got grated apple and mashed banana when we were sick and it made us feel comfortable and safe. These positive emotions come back when I grate apples for my children and they love them just like my brother and I did.
When our children are about to come down with something, I feed them more powerful foods and bounce right back. I choose foods that are rich in antioxidants and anti inflammatories like turmeric almond milk with cinnamon, ginger and magical healing active Manuka honey.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 tsp rye or buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp live plant-based yogurt
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 pear, peeled, cored and grated
- 1 handful of blueberries
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 banana, peeled and sliced
- Maple syrup (optional)
- The night before, place oats, flour, yogurt, raisins and water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Remove from stove, cover and put aside.
- Next morning, grate the pear and add the remaining ingredients to the oats. Drizzle with a little bit of maple syrup according to taste and serve right away.