Eggnog is a popular drink during the holidays. Traditional eggnog is made of milk or cream, sugar, raw eggs, an alcoholic spirit and spices. It makes you wonder: How did humans first think downing a spiced and spiked egg-yolk-milk mixture was a good idea? Anyway, as you might expect, we’ll make our own plant-based version of eggnogis- virgin for the kids, strong for the parents :).
The first president of the United States, George Washington, was quite a fan of eggnog and devised his own recipe that included rye whiskey, rum and sherry. It was reputed to be a stiff drink that only the most courageous were willing to try.
For my version of eggnog you don’t have to be courageous at all 🙂 Just enjoy it!
- 3/4-1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 15 oz. can of full-fat coconut milk
- 6 medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla powder
- 3 tbsp rum (optional)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Drain and rinse the cashews. Transfer them to a high-speed blender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend with the cashews until very well blended and smooth.
- Chill in the fridge for at least one hour. Serve cold.