These burgers are delicious. The thick and chewy texture of the grilled portobellos gives them a nice “meaty” feeling that even meat eaters love. And yes, eating the filled to the brim burgers is a bit messy, so have paper towels on hand :). You will be rewarded though with a great flavor.
- 4 portobello mushroom
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Dijon mustard
- Salad leaves
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 sweet onion, cut in thin slices
- Salt, black pepper
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
- 1 slice of vegan cheese (optional)
- Long fermented sourdough buns
- On the grill or in a pan roast portobellos until browned on both sides. If you are using cheese, place it on top pf the mushrooms and heat until melted.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet or on the grill, roast onions until caramelized and browned. Toast buns, add ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise and layer with vegetables.