Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew
The brightly colored spices emit such an intense wonderful scent that makes it hard to wait for the food to be done. Luckily, it doesn’t take long to prepare this satisfying dish.
Rich in vitamin A and beta-carotene, sweet potatoes offer complex carbohydrates along with antioxidant nutrients. If you’re watching the glycemic index of your foods you may be surprised by the sweet potato’s rating. Starchy sweet potato ranks low on the glycemic index scale, which measures a food’s effect on your blood sugar on a scale of one to 100. The glycemic index helps measure a food’s impact on your blood sugar levels. Foods with a high glycemic index have a rapid effect on your blood sugar. Consuming these foods causes a blood sugar spike, which in turn leads to blood sugar crash. Low glycemic index foods increase your blood sugar levels gradually, so your blood sugar remains more stable after your meal.
The combination of turmeric, curry powder and cumin smells and tastes delicious. These spices have also amazing health benefits.
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 large onion, diced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 peeled and diced sweet potatoes
- 1 diced red bell pepper, stemmed and seeded
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils, soaked overnight in water and rinsed
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 lime (optional), sliced
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook cumin, turmeric and curry powder until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add onion with a bit of salt and cook, stirring, until tender, about 6 minutes. If the vegetables get too dry add water, a tablespoon at a time.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes and bell pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Add lentils and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until lentils are tender, 25-30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Top with cilantro and serve with slices of lime.