This is a great warming fall/ winter recipe, a classical comfort food.
Write a review
- 2 eggplants, halved
- 1 large red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 dried red chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sun- dried tomatoes
- 1 can red kidney beans, rinsed well and drained
- 1 handful cocktail tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup almonds, peeled
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- Heat the oven on 400F/200C.
- With a spoon, scoop out the flesh of the eggplants but leave about 2" of meat all around the eggplants. Brush halves with a olive oil and salt them. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food process chop onion and garlic.
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a large non- stick skillet over medium heat and sauté onion, garlic and chili for 2-3 minutes. Add cocktail tomatoes and fry until soft.
- Meanwhile, chop sundries tomatoes and stopped out eggplant meat in the food processor.
- Remove chili from pan. Add eggplant mixture together with tomato sauce, beans and cumin to the pan and cook for 10 minutes on low heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, process almonds with 1/2 cup of water in a food processor until smooth. Add more water if it is too thick, it should have a slight runny consistency. Mix in thyme.
- Fill eggplant halves with the bean mixture, top with almond sauce and bake for 8-10 minutes.