As usual, these cookies taste wonderful and are dairy,- oil,- and sugar free. Using raw cacao, a superfood, makes them an antioxidant rich healthy treat- which is hard to believe when they taste so yummy!
One Bowl Plant-Based Raw Cacao Cookies
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds mixed with 3 tbsp water and set aside for 5 minutes
- 1 cup date paste
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 3 tbsp raw cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour ( I process rolled oats in the blender)
- 1-2 tsp non-dairy milk (only of needed)
- 1/2 cup of raw cacao nibs or non dairy dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F) and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flax egg, apple sauce, date paste and vanilla with a hand-held electric mixer until smooth.
- Beat in the dry ingredients one by one (baking soda, baking powder, salt, cacao and flour).
- If the dough is too dry add some milk. The dough should be moist enough to form balls, but not too sticky.
- Stir in the chocolate chips by hand and shape balls of dough (about 2 heaping tablespoons) and place on the baking sheet 5cm (2-3 inches) apart. Gently press down on each ball and flatten it (they should be 1cm/ 1/2-inch thick).
- Bake for about 12 minutes.
- Let cookies cool off and enjoy warm or at room temperature.