Soba noodles are traditional Japanese noodles made from buckwheat flour and are therefore gluten free. Buckwheat is rich in protein, minerals and flavonoids, and can help strengthen capillaries. Buckwheat contains as much vitamin B1 as brown rice and nearly twice the levels of B1 found in wheat. What I really like about soba noodles is their rich nutty flavor.
One of our most popular dishes when we have guests over is a main dish called “Tris di Pasta” in Italy. It ‘s a combination of three different noodle dishes. The more different colored pasta you use, the more impressive the whole plate will look. I usually choose purple red cabbage pasta, green avocado pasta and homemade pesto noodles. I always end up with way too much pasta and so we get to enjoy the leftovers the next day- especially the cabbage noodles taste even more intense on the following day. The only dish I recommend eating right away is the avocado pasta. Because of the oxidation process the avocado sauce will change color, become brown and won´t look appealing anymore.
Try to use the avocado sauce on raw zucchini, cut in spirals or in thin strips with a julienne peeler or a spiralizer. You can serve them as an appetizer or even as a main dish.
- Half a packet of soba noodles (around 250 gr)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large handful of fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
- Zest from 1 organic lemon
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1 tbsp almond milk or water
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package.
- For the sauce add garlic, basil and lemon juice to a food processor and pulse a few times. Add the avocado flesh and almond milk and process until smooth.
- If the sauce is too thick, add some more milk (or water). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the pasta and place it back in the pot. Add the avocado sauce and stir until well combined.
- Stir in lemon zest and garnish with basil leaves, if desired.
- Serve immediately.