These balls are very delicious and very nutritious at the same time- so lang as you use activated almonds- and if possible- activated oats as they are extremely high in phytic acid (read more about it in a recent post http://plantbasedhappy.com/?p=6272).
The balls freeze well and I pack them frozen for morning snack at school. By the time the kids eat them they will have thawed. I love to serve them together with an espresso after dinner when we have guests.
Make sure you push down on the food processor while making the dough, otherwise it will wobble around your kitchen counter.
- 1/2 cup activated almonds
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp activated rolled oats
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp raw cacao nibs
- 2 tsp cacao powder to coat them (optional)
- Process almonds in a food processor until flour like.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the cacao nibs and water. Process for 5 minutes or until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time to get a sticky consistency. Add more water if necessary.
- Form small balls with moist fingers and roll them in cacao powder.