A couple of my colleagues are from India and love to share their way of cooking with me. I am always fascinated by the large variety of different flavors and spices. I am intrigued by the way every bit of a plant is used and almost nothing is thrown away. This curry is one of our most favorite dishes!
Don’t you love the intense orange colors in this dish? Looks amazing and tastes wonderful!
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried cinnamon, turmeric, cumin, coriander, ground cloves
- Salt, to taste
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 can (15 oz) light coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Brown rice
- Heat a large, deep skillet, over medium heat and add onion. Saute until soft for 3-4 minutes. If it starts to stick to the pan add 1 tbsp of water.
- Add the garlic and spices and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, the can of tomatoes, the coconut milk and sweet potato.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer, cover and cook for 30-50 minutes (the longer the better).
- Cook the brown rice according to package instructions.
- Turn off heat, sprinkle the curry with parsley and serve over rice.