I have changed my original gingerbread recipe this year, realizing, that I used some refined products like sugar and butter that are not necessary for this recipe. I substituted a couple of ingredients and swapped baking soda with baking powder. The result: you can’t tell the difference between the original recipe and the healthier one. So why go with the original? I only left it on the blog so you can compare the ingredients and see how easy it is to turn a not so healthy recipe in a healthy one.
The gingerbread men taste great with just a little bit of icing for eyes and buttons, but some of us, like our daughter, get really carried away 🙂
hen using whole spelt flour, you can see some flakes in the dough. make sure you chill the dough ball enough so that you can easily roll it out and cut out the shapes. The heat here in Australia made me put the dough in the freezer for a while and made transferring the gingerbread men to the baking tray more challenging.
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax seeds mixed with 3 tbsp water)
- 1/2 cup date paste
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 3 Tbsp molasses
- 3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup whole spelt flour
- In a small bowl combine the flaxmeal and water and let soak for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- In another bowl , combine the wet ingredients, adding the flaxegg.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and knead the batter with your hands.
- On a floured surface, knead the batter into a ball. if it is too sticky, add a bit more flour.
- Flatten the ball out gently, wrap the disc with cling wrap and place it in the fridge for 1/2 hour (alternatively, place it in the freezer for 10 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 375F (170C).
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface with a rolling pin and cut out gingerbread men with a cookie cutter.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet or a silicone baking mat and bake for 13-15 minutes.
- let them cool off completely, then decorate them.