Putting this colorful dish together takes just a few minutes of my time- and that’s mostly spend on deseeding the pomegranate and washing the green leaves.
I usually activate more grains than I need for a specific dish and use the remaining grains for a warm breakfast dish or- like in this case- for a fruity, super healthy, grain salad. This time, I used pear barley that I had activated originally for a “barlotto” or barley risotto.
This salad combines a lot of important food groups and is bursting with nutrients. Our kids love it because of the added fruits and the yummy vinaigrette.
- 1 1/2 cups activated* and cooked pearl barley
- 1 pomegranate, deseeded
- 1 1/2 activated and cooked chickpeas**
- Handful of fresh cilantro/ coriander, chopped
- 1/4 cup activated pumpkin seeds***
- 1 cup red grapes, washed
- 4 handful of lettuce leaves (rocket or any other lettuce)
- For the vinaigrette:
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt, freshly ground black pepper
- *soaked overnight in water with a bit of apple cider vinegar, then rinsed well and drained the next day
- ** soaked for 12 hours, then cooked until tender; I always have a large batch cooked chickpeas stored in a glass jar in my fridge
- ***activated= soaked overnight in salted water, then rinsed, drained and dried in dehydrator or oven
- For the vinaigrette, add ingredients in a small airtight jar and shake vigorously.
- Wash and dry lettuce.
- Add all ingredients for the salad in a large salad bowl and drizzle with the vinaigrette.
- Mix thoroughly and serve with fresh sourdough bread (the longer fermented the better!)